The Quiet Pond celebrated Asian Heritage Month in 2020! We hosted 27 Asian guests in one month and celebrated Asian identity, literature, and art with author interviews, blogger interviews, and discussion posts.
Read our event’s introduction post here.
Our Asian Heritage Month 2020 posts
- An Interview with Wai Chim, Author of The Surprising Power of a Good Dumpling; On Writing Histories, Diaspora Families, and Mental Illnesses
- An Interview with Jessica Kim, Author of Stand Up, Yumi Chung! On Comedy and Diaspora Korean Identity
- An Interview with Jason Tanamor, Author of Vampires of Portlandia; On Writing Filipino Folklore & Filipino-American Identity
- An Interview with Julie Abe, Author of Eva Evergreen, Semi-Magical Witch; On Japanese Influences and Writing Empowering Stories
- An Interview with Xiran Jay Zhao, Author of Iron Widow; On Feminist Fantasy, Giant Robots, & Diaspora Worldbuilding
- An Interview with Emery Lee, Author of Meet Cute Diary; On Eir Writing Journey, Trans Characters and Trans Joy
- An Interview with Lyla Lee, Author of the Mindy Kim Series; On the Inspiration Behind Mindy Kim and Writing Korean Culture
- An Interview with Adiba Jaigirdar, Author of The Henna Wars; On The Intersections of Queer & Muslim Identity, and Cultural Appreciation versus Appropriation
- An Interview with June Hur, Author of The Silence of Bones; On Craft, Homely Reminders, & Korean History
- An Interview with Henry Lien, Author of Peasprout Chen; On Immigrant Stories, Asian Speculative Fiction, and Celebrating Enthusiasm
- An Interview with Hena Khan, Author of Amina’s Voice & More to the Story; On Writing Young Muslim Characters and… A Sequel in the Works!
- An Interview with I.W. Gregorio, Author of This is My Brain in Love; On Being a Badass Teen Businesswoman, and Pretty Awesome Asian-Americans named Joce 😉
- An Interview with Sangu Mandanna, Author of A Spark of White Fire; On Retelling Mahābhārata, Free Will versus Fate, and the Stories Behind Her Books
- An Interview with Yao Xiao, Author of Everything Is Beautiful, and I’m Not Afraid; On Being a Queer Chinese Immigrant and Bridging Different Worlds
- An Interview with Naomi Hirahara, Author of Iced in Paradise; On Being a WOC Mystery Author, Lovable Curmudgeons, and Mystery Recs by PoC!
- An Interview with Aliette de Bodard, Author of the Dominion of the Fallen Series; On Writing Her French & Vietnamese Identities and Lunar New Year
- An Interview with Lauren Ho, Author of Last Tang Standing; On Her Experiences of Being a Chinese-Malaysian Woman and Humorous Asian Reads
Discussions with an Author
- Tashie Bhuiyan, Author of Counting Down With You, Shares Her Love Letter to Writing One’s Culture and Identity
- Katie Zhao, Author of The Dragon Warrior, On Embracing Our Inner Dragons
- Christina Li, Author of Clues to the Universe, On The Book that Helped Her See Herself
- Krisha, Book Blogger & Dancer, Recommends Her Favourite South Asian Books
- Jia, Book Blogger at A Book and Words, Recommends Her Favourite West Asian Books!
Discussions with a Content Creator
- May Cho, Malaysian Brunei-Based Booktuber, On Why Representation Matters to Her
- Ikram, Book Blogger at Readlogy, On Her Experiences of Being a South-East Asian Reader
- Charvi, Book Blogger at Not Just Fiction, On Authors of Colour Inserting Different Languages in Their Books
- Mackenzie, Bookstagrammer and Book Blogger at Colour Me Read, Discusses The Girl From Everywhere – Both The Book & Herself
- A Conversation with Sylvia Bi, Publishing Design Assistant, On the Joy of Diversity in Fanart